Ken Springer wrote:
I've just posted a message about document protection.

After I've got the document protection the way I wish, how do I export
that document as a PDF and retain the ability to have the fill in fields?

I think you need to add the fields as "Form Controls", e.g. Insert > Form Control > Text Box. This might also avoid your other issue with being able to protect the document but allow the fields to be modified.

Then, when you export the PDF, make sure the "Create PDF form" option is selected on the "General" tab.

--
Mark.