How do you want to modify them?

References are created with Ctrl-F2 which brings up the Fields meny, choose
tab Cross-references.
There you can create own reference targets, or insert a reference to either
an own reference or to a chapter (or something else).
What kind of reference are you using?

It sounds like your references have moved. Maybe the easiest way is to
create a new reference. It sounds like you want a reference to a chapter,
so simply go into C-F2, select Headings in the left menu, choose how the
reference shall appear in the menu under, and then select the chapter in
the menu to the right.