On 08/12/16 15:56, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 12/7/2016 11:29 AM, Philip Jackson <philip.jack...@nordnet.fr> wrote:
>> It would be nice if I could just create a VB machine and tell it to load
>> the hard disk which already has the workable installation of Windows 10,
>> together with the couple of applications I use from time to time.
>
> You mean something like this:
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

Thanks for this link - it looks promising. But I do see some tech speak
that I'm not familiar with like ACPI and APIC.  A quick look shows that
my Windows installation has AGP440.sys and intelppm.sys so that's
another couple of potential problems.

But I think I'll give it a try over the end of year holiday period after
I've cleared up some outstanding job items.

My primary reason for booting into Windows from time to time (maybe a
couple of times a month) is to use Sibelius music notation software. But
I'm gradually getting used to Musescore in linux so maybe the dependence
on Sibelius will reduce. I wouldn't like to have to reinstall Sibelius
in a virtual machine so it would be ideal if I could use the existing
installation which is in the same box but on another disk.

I regret, somewhat, upgrading 7 to 10. W7 used to boot-up rapidly like
linux but 10 takes from 3 to 5 minutes to be usable -probably because it
was an upgrade and not a clean install. What I find the saddest about
Windows, though, is the way MS updates so often want to install
themselves just when I want to shut down and then so often require a
reboot or even two reboots before shut down. If I am not there to watch
the install and catch the reboot manually, my desktop defaults to linux
when Windows triggers its reboot.

So the next time I want to boot into windows, I find that a previous
update has not yet completed and I'm forced to wait while it does.
Linux updates always go on seamlessly in the background and only
occasionally require a reboot - never in the middle of an installation.