On 10/04/2017 12:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> The _*number of words*_ (or the number of original (Japanese) characters)
> defines how much money I get.

Are you paid by the number of Japanese characters, or the number of
words in the target language? If the latter, what is the definition of a
word, according to the contract?

> (from the Libreoffice Help page:
> How does LibreOffice count words?
> In general, every string of characters between two spaces is a word.
> Dashes, tabs, line breaks, and paragraph breaks are word limits, too.)

Is that the definition of word, according to your contract?
(If it is, you are leaving a lot of money on the table.)

> All I need to know is the number of words - counted in a way that is
> reproducible, since the translation agency will have its own opinion about
> that.

This why, when accepting contracts that pay by the word, the word "word"
is defined, and the method of counting words is specified.

jonathon