Hi,

Thank you for your appreciation. You are very kind.
1 USD is worth about 1.25 CAD. However, US buyers usually have access
to overall cheaper prices. You can look on TigerDirect.com or
BestBuy.com as a starting point and see what's available there (TD had
272 units before I wrote this message). A good startup article could
also be this one if you are not familiar with NAS devices: https://www.
pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401086,00.asp, and then this: https://www.as
ustor.com/service/nas_selector (at least to get the specs of what you
need).

When I spoke of WD Red, it was in the context of getting a diskless
unit for which you buy the amount of storage you need (for example, I
bought 4x3TB that I run in RAID 5 which gives an effective 8TB of
storage separate from the unit). I honestly would not know how to
detect if a box has WD Reds in it or not, unless by opening it.

For the longest while, I had a two disk (2x 2TB) Iomega unit that
served me very well (an equivalent unit would probably be the WD - My
Cloud EX2 Ultra 4TB 2-Bay External Network Storage or Synology -
DiskStation 2-bay External Network Storage). As the number of users and
usage grew, it became a bit under-powered so I had to upgrade, but I
would recommend something like that for a single user. If you have a
lot of media files and want to stream from your NAS, then go for a unit
with a larger processor (quad-core with higher frequency) and ideally
expandable memory.

I hope this helps.

Rémy Gauthier.