Hi Tom,
Le 10/12/2017 à 17:15, Tom Davies a écrit :
> Hi :)
> There is nothing new in this.
>
> People providing User Support or Technical Support through these mailing
> lists have never been recognised as being a useful part of TDF or the
> LibreOffice community.

Which is not true, this is one of the most important missions for TDF to
recognize the work done in all the areas of the LO and DLP projects.

> Similarly the Documentation Team and some others get no recognition nor
> support from TDF.

Why Olivier has been contracted then? He is helping and welcoming each
person working there, doing a great job on developing and enhancing the
project.

> So there is no reason to expect any of these mailing lists to close or
> change at all.

Again why do you asserts that?

> I don't know why the Ask 'Bot' thing is different.  It was a new and
> 'trendy' thing that users were allegedly finding much more normal and
> easier to use.  Many of the people doing the actual work of answering
> questions found it painful because there was no way for them to chat or
> help each other out so it was difficult to build-up team spirit or learn
> from each other and so on.  So it's a very desolate and isolating system
> that is not much fun for volunteers.

I don't use ask, only doing moderation on it, but the fact that it give
credits to the users there was one of the most important feature to
choose it.

> Another advantage here is that we sometimes get feedback on the quality of
> our answers or on how well we welcomed people in to the community or
> whatnot.
>
> I get the impression that this mailing-list is more rewarding without
> needing some fake points system to rate us and to potentially create
> divisions and stuff like that.  I guess the AskBot needs the points&badges
> system because it's the only feedback they can get.

Their are some areas on the project where it's very difficult to reward
the contributors, we are aware of it. It's also the case for example for
the l10n team where Pootle doesn't reflect external contributions.

@all, so to be positive, what could be and should be the way to count
people giving support on all the users' mailing lists in the project?
Nabble could give some help and I'll see with Mike if it's possible to
integrate it to his badge system. Would there be other ways or other
area that seems to be not supported?

Cheers
Sophie

--