Hi :)
If you do try turning the auto-save off then you really need to get into
the habit of doing your own saves quite frequently.

I tend to find that creating a document originally takes me a fair while
but if i lose it then it takes me a LOT less time 2nd time around.  When
first trying to write something down i wrestle with all sorts of decisions
about grammar, layout, formatting and how to express my thoughts.  If i
lose even a significant chunk of work i can usually re-create it very
quickly 2nd time around because i tend to find those decisions are still
lurking around somewhere so i can just get on with the typing.

Regards from
a Tom :)