On 04/30/2018 05:22 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
On 04/30/2018 11:11 AM, James Knott wrote:
Recent versions of MS Office are supposed to be able to work with Open
Document files.  Have you tried to see what happens when you use it with
ODF files?

Thank you for the suggestion. My personal computer is Linux only, but
I'll check it out on the school's computers to see how well MSO reads
and writes to .odt. I don't even know what version of MSO the school uses.

Virgil
The last time I worked for a school, it was before 2005, so there was not LibreOffice. I do know many families cannot afford to buy, or rent, MSO and all of its upgrades as the school upgrades. I use to live next to a family who's adults will not let the students use the only computer in the household.  Now it seems that every writing assignments taken home required to be "typed" and no longer hand written. So from the start, we no longer have the students get use to hand written work, so their written documents are readable.  The built in spell checker makes the need to learn how to spell words anymore.