Sorry for the untrimmed quote and top post Gmail client forces it like
this.

I started to write a macro (and failed miserably) because I wanted to, in a
spreadsheet, enter today's date and time in a column (or two) that then
*never* updates again. All of my attempts at getting this to work (via
existing methods or by creating a macro) failed.

I simply had to accept that I had to enter it every time I I made an entry.

If I got it wrong l'd love to hear of a better way to do it.
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

    Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
    Women and cats will do as they please, and
    men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein