On 08/05/2018 02:34 AM, Tom wrote:
On 08/04/2018 11:26 PM, Tom wrote:
On 08/04/2018 10:42 PM, Joe conner wrote:
How do I insert a photo into a word document as a watermark? The help
files are not helpful, the tabs that are sujpposed to be there
FORMAT -> PAGE -> BACKGROUND but the background tab does not exist.
Maybe sometime in past versions of LibreOffice it may
have, but in Version: 6.0.3.2 Build ID: 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 some genius
has decided it is unnecessary.

Using Ubuntu 64bit 18.04.

I'm running LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 on Linux Mint 18 an noticed "FORMAT >
PAGE > BACKGROUND" is missing too.  However, I was able to add a
watermark by doing this:

  1. Use "Format > Page > Area"  menu to access the "Fill" setting.
  2. I chose a "Fill" setting of "Bitmap" and used the "Import Graphic"
     button to import my image.
  3. Then, I went to the "Transparency" tab and set transparency setting
     of 85% (you'll probably want a higher setting)

When I then typed some text over the background image, the image was in
full color (no opacity).

Maybe this is the new/current way to add a watermark in Writer.

Hope this helps!

Peace...

"The Other" Tom

The LibreOffice Writer 6.0 guide also documents the above information:

https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/writer/

Peace...

"The Other"  Tom

I use Format > Page > Area > Bitmap    to add a background image.

I use to create an image for the watermark with  GIMP or other software and make them look transparent there. I even test them with that package to see how the graphic will work.  I made one for a letterhead that showed printed, but would not copy when you try to use a printer/scanner or a copy machine. This was a security feature I made for an organization I am still on the board of [since 2007].

I have use the transparency menu for other background images and watermarks.

I have been making watermarks and background images with foreground text since the earliest days of LibreOffice and some of the later years of OOo - a number of yours before LO came out.

I still need to upgrade to the next version [6.0.6, but have downloaded the DEB install files.