Den lör 5 jan. 2019 kl 18:39 skrev Remy Gauthier <remygauth...@yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
>
> If you apply any style that has borders re-defined in any way (including
> "no borders"), setting the cell style will override whatever settings you
> previously made. I did a few tests and if, in your style definition you
> only change - for instance - the background color, then the borders that
> were set previously around the cell (Format > Cells...) remain unchanged
> when the style is applied.

Yes, I know that ”no borders” means ”no borders”, so pre-existing ones will
be removed. But when you select your borders in the borders tab of the
style dialogue, clicking a border once makes it look like a black (or
whatever selected in the colour combo box) line. If I click it again, the
line turns thicker and gray. I though THAT meant ”don't change”, at least
that would have made sense. So what does it mean instead?
And if I click it again, the line disappears, which obviously means ”no
border”.

> If you want to re-initialise the border definition, you can press the
> "Standard" button in the bottom right corner of the Style Edit panel when
> the Borders tab is selected. This will reset the definition to the setting
> of the parent (Herited from on the Organizer tab) - important note here: if
> the parent has any border settings, then you will not be able to achieve
> your objective of having a style that uses "whatever was already there".
> This means you should create your styles as children of Default, and never
> change Default itself unless it's for font settings or background color.
>
> Now, what is it you are trying to do? Are you creating styles to apply
> Conditional Formatting?

No.

> Or are you just trying to make your table "pretty"?

No.

> If it's the latter, I suggest you do it "à la Excel" and just apply the
> formatting (background, borders, fonts, etc.) manually, without styles. If
> it's Conditional Formatting, apply the borders manually, then apply the
> highlighting styles to obtain the effect you are looking for, based on the
> condition set. You can also use the STYLE function to dynamically apply a
> style from a formula:
>
> - If the result is a number, the formula would then be:
> =Calculation_of_the_number+STYLE("StyleName")
> - If the result is text, the formula could be:
> =CONCATENATE(Calculatiom_of_the_text,TEXT(STYLE("StyleName")," "))
>
> This also works, but still requires you to manually apply the borders.
> Also note that trying multiple styles to a cell does not work (e.g.
> =Calculation_of_the_number+STYLE("StyleName1")+STYLE("StyleName2")+STYLE("StyleName3")+...):
> only the last applied style is kept.

I think I described what I was trying to do in my first post.
I have that table looking thing with borders. I have a few cell styles with
different background colours representing different ”modes” of something.
If this thing worked properly (which it maybe does once I understand it),
all I have to do is to select a cell range and double click a style in the
right hand panel. It has to be easy and quick, because I am going to do
this a lot and also I prefer to use styles, since it's so easy to change
specific things for a specific style rather than searching and replacing
things directly on the spreadsheet.

> I hope this helps.

At least I now have some more things to try, but I'm still puzzled about
that third boarder line mode that I mentioned above. I thing it would be
awesome if the third mode actually was the ”don't change” mode. That would
be intuitive.
Overall though, unfortunately I think that the styles thing in LibreOffice
(and Apache OpenOffice) is a mess. There are som many ways to format a cell
that it's sometimes very hard to find the source for a cell format when
something isn't correctly formatted and it's not obvious where the problem
lies. If you format a cell in several ways at once, it's hard to realise
which format will ”dominate”.
Never mind, that spreadsheet document isn't my most important one anyway, I
just thought that if I ran into a bug I could report it. I just wanted to
check here first if I maybe missed something. I don't want to annoy the
developers with imaginary bugs…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg