Hi Wayne,

> Platform: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor × 2
>
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>
> LibreOffice Version: 5.1.6.2
> Build ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial4
> CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 4.4; UI Render: default;
> Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group

You are using a very old version of LO. And you are using the version of
Ubuntu, not from LO directly.

> I've created a mailing DB - named columns (tables) -  saved it -
> registered it ...but
>
> when attempting to print mailing labels only the DB name shows in the
> label window - no table names are made available to format the label.

I have tested this:
File > New > Labels
I could switch to the Database "Bibliography" (Standard in LO)
I could select Table "biblio".
I could choose all Database fields.

Works the same way with another database I have connected to LO.
System here: OpenSUSE 15 with LO 6.1.4.2.

Have I understand it right this isn't working for you?

Regards

Robert