Tom Davies <tomc...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi :)
> I just click on the save button or on;
>
> File - Save As
>
> Job done.

To clarify ...

I have a spreadsheet of 5 tabs called 'word-count-antonine.ods' which I would
like to use as
a word-count template for future books that I intend to write. WCA starts at
Saturday July 28 2018
with initial word counts which are then updated manually whenever I do more
writing.

I would like to have this as a template with blank cells except they have kept
the functions from
the original spreadsheet, so that I can start with a new date and work onwards
from there and show
exactly the same information as in my original spreadsheet, but the new one is
now named for another
project.

I have saved the WCA spreadsheet as a template, but it is still showing exactly
the same information in each cell as the original one was, whereas I was hoping
that the functions would remain but the cells appear blank.

Does my original question make sense now please?

Thanks
Sharon.

> I'm not sure what the problem is.  Is it that someone using Microsoft Office
> can't see the file you have created?  Microsoft is usually blind and unable
> to cope with standards, even 'standards' of it's own devising.  Using
> LibreOffice,
> Google-docs, OpenOffice or any other office program you should be able to
> easily see the file you created.
>
> With the File - Save As route a dialogue box pops up.  Near the bottom of the
> dialogue-box, just above it's own Save button, there is an option to choose
> format.  By default it says "All formats" but actually just saves it in native
> .Ods format.  Amongst the other formats it offers are the unreliable, ever
> changing Microsoft formats such as .Xlsx and their older format .Xls.  There
> is also a format specifically for proper Templates, and an equivalent for
> Microsoft
> Office templates.
>
> My old boss used to talk about making a template but he really meant just a
> normal file, in an MS format, that he would then overwrite and forget to keep
> an unfilled copy of anywhere.  Having an actual proper template would confuse
> him
> and he'd delete it.
>
> In much the same way he kept using the term "double entry" to mean a mistake
> where someone had entered the same thing twice instead of using it the way
> accountants and bookkeepers have been using it for the last several hundred
> years.
> Presumably he thought an advert for a "double-entry bookkeeper" was because
> companies were really keen to employ someone who made a LOT of mistakes!
>
> If you really mean a proper template then Chapter 3 of the "Getting Started
> Guide";
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
> (or scroll down further to Chapter 4 of the "Calc Guide") might help.
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/83/GS6003-StylesAndTemplates.pdf
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/e/e8/CG4104-StylesAndTemplates.pdf
>
> There are pre-made templates at;
> https://extensions.libreoffice.org/templates
> which you can adapt and use, or just use as they are, for free.
>
> Here's an extremely brief bit of help about templates;
> https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Creating_a_Document_Template
> but it's probably better to go with one (or both) of the chapters above
> because they have a lot more information to skim through.
>
> Good luck and many regards from
> a Tom :)
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:52, Sharon Kimble <boudic...@skimble.plus.com>
> wrote:
>
>     I have a question which I can't find an answer to, how can I save a calc
> spreadsheet as a template with all cells being blank, but still retaining the
> functions within it please?
>
>     Thanks
>     Sharon.
>     --
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.8, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.1.91, org 9.2.1