On 6-3-2019 17:48, Tom Williams wrote:
On 3/6/19 8:26 AM, Tom Williams wrote:
I know it's odd to ask for Excel help in this mailing list but I need
help locating a LibreOffice Calc function/feature in Excel.  :)

I'm helping a friend create a billing invoice and since I'm a Linux
user, I'm using Calc to build the template.  So far, it's working well
and given I'm not an Excel user, I find myself struggling some in
getting Excel to "behave".  Anyway, I recently discovered the "/Expand
reference when new rows are inserted/" in Calc.  It does exactly what I
needed.   When I add/remove a row in/from the spreadsheet, my total
"SUM()" formula is updated automagically.

Does the equivalent feature exist in Excel?  What I've found is, when
adding rows *after* the last row in my SUM() formula, the new row is
excluded from the SUM() formula.   So, my formula is "=SUM(D7:D27)".
Once I add row 28, I need the SUM() formula to be updated to
"=SUM(D7:D28)".  Conversely, when row 28 is removed, I want the SUM()
formula to be updated to "=SUM(D7:D27".   In Calc, the "/Expand
reference when new rows are inserted/" feature does this work for me.

I did some web searching and found this article:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/3895-excel-update-formula-when-inserting-rows.html

but I hope to find an easier and more flexible way to accomplish what I
need.  Or is that approach what I really should use?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

"The Other" Tom

Nevermind!  I found this:

https://bettersolutions.com/excel/formulas/automatic-expansion.htm

That should do what I need!

Thanks anyway!  :)

Peace...

"The Other" Tom

In EXCEL you can do this:

A       B       C
1       2       3
=A2+3   =B2+3   =C2+3

(I used CTRL+T to show formulas, you should see the values 4,5,6)

When you select A1:C3, and choose 'Insert'/'Table'

After this, typing the value 7 in cell 'A4', en pressing 'Enter' results in the fields B4 and C4 being updated with the same formula as in row 3.

How can this be achieved in LibreOffice Calc ?