I started experimenting with calling a basic function from a python script. I was surprised that without to much trouble I got it to work to a certain extent.

I am working on linux Mint.

I started with a basic Sub I found. In it's original form it had 3 rgb values hard coded and it popped up a message box that displayed the color value from the rgb input. I rewrote it as a Function that took the rgb values as parameters.

Here is the basic:

Function ColorExampleFunc(r as long, g as long, b as long)
Dim lVar As Long
lVar = rgb(207,231,245)
msgbox "The color " & lVar & " consists of:" & Chr(13) &_
"red= " & red(lVar) & Chr(13)&_
"green= " & green(lVar) & Chr(13)&_
"blue= " & blue(lVar) & Chr(13) , 64,"colors"

end function

Here is the python:

#test_basic.py
import os

result = os.system('soffice "macro:///Standard.Module1.ColorExampleFunc(207,231,245)"')

This works as it will pop up the message box with the color value displayed. What I need to do is capture that color value (which is usually an eight digit number) in variable in the python script.

I printed result and it was equal to 0.

It's been a long time since I did anything in basic. I imagine I would have to get rid of the msgbox code and set the rgb values equal to a variable and then return them, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Does anyone know how to get the color value in the python script?

Thanks, Jim