Using Writer 6.3.5.2

I drew a colour filled polygon at the top of a page where the header would
normally be. I saved this as a template and then went to use it for a new
document.

The new document had the graphic on the first page but not on subsequent pages.
Clearly, the graphic element did not form part of the page description and I
cannot find a way to make it stick so all new pages with that template
automatically include the graphic.

Does anyone have suggestions for how this could be achieved in Writer other
than by the hard labour method of copy and pasting the element to each  new
page?

Philip