Using LO 6.3.5.2 Writer

While I was having the recent difficulty with getting graphics to stick in a
template, I prepared a short document copy/pasting header and footer graphics
into a Writer document as I went along.

During this work, there was a moment when adjusting the position of a footer
graphic on the page, the graphic disappeared completely. I had no idea why or
where it had gone and just supposed I had slipped and clicked in a wrong place.

When the document was finished, I exported to pdf to check that the hyperlinks
in the footer graphics were working as they should. To my surprise, I found in
the pdf, right in the centre of a single page, an upside down hyperlink that
also worked ok. It was a text box from the graphic I had lost.

This corruption was not visible in the Writer odt document, only in the pdf.
Deleting the page only made the corruption appear on theĀ  next one. Being
invisible in Writer, I couldn't find any way to remove it.

My workaround was to prepare a new document and copy /paste the corrupted one
into the new with frequent checks to make sure the corruption didn't get copied
over.

Has anyone come across this sort of effect? Is there a way to get such a
graphic element to be visible in Writer?

Philip