Hi Brian,

On 2020-07-21 14:09, Brian Barker wrote:
At 01:16 21/07/2020 -0400, John Kaufmann wrote:
AutoCorrect had the effect of changing most non-empty "Default Style" paragraphs to "Text Body" style, with the rest chosen [by spacing hints?] to be
"Hanging Indent", "Heading", "Heading 1", "List", "List 1", "Numbering 2" or "Text Body Indent". (Empty
paragraphs remained "Default Style".)  That was a MUCH more elaborate and sophisticated AutoCorrect than I ever would have imagined.

You may or may not want all that to happen. If not, it is wise to use this
technique first, before applying any other formatting. You can then choose to
select all the text and apply a paragraph style of choice - Default, Text Body,
or whatever.

As I said, I was surprised that AutoCorrect had the effect of sorting different plain
text paragraphs into different paragraph styles. I would never have expected
"AutoCorrect" to include a function so ambitious, and am still thinking about
the implications. [What is the basis for assigning paragraphs to styles? Does this imply
something reserved about certain styles, or are styles profiled (if so, how? - on what
basis?) for this function?] The least one can say it that it's inarguably clever - and as
a practical matter, cleaning up from that was not burdensome.

But, in time, I would love to know.  After all, every other AutoCorrect
function is a product of explicit rules. I'm sure this is also, but have not
had time to think about what those rules would be, and how they are built.
[Just a couple days ago that I was thinking in terms of editors parsing on
specific (low-ASCII) codes rather than XML statements. I'm still adjusting. ;-)
]

John