Dear Brian,

On 2021/06/13 18:52, Brian Barker wrote:
At 15:01 13/06/2021 +0200, Hylton Conacher wrote:
A simple sum will do it i.e.: In cell Y4 insert [...]
=SUM(M18-$W$4)

I'm often puzzled by suggestions such as this. In what way do you think that =SUM(Xm-Yn) differs from =Xm-Yn? The minus sign effects the subtraction between two values, generating a single value as its result. You then pass this single value to the SUM() function. What do you expect that function do with a single value? The sum of two and two is four; what do you think is the sum of just two?

I too was puzzled by the OP post however I assumed that it was the function that the OP was seeking, consequently my answer included the SUM option. The two formulae above do indeed calculate the same thing, but as you can see from the OP reply, he perhaps wanted a more Index(Match()) query.

I will leave the explanation of the different parts of whatever function he chooses to someone who has knowledge of such.

It has often puzzled me why when knowledgeable members of mailing lists such as this, find fault in what someone, less qualified than themselves, suggests. It is not taken via private mail but splashed on the mailing list.

I have been very thankful for your help in years past, and despite an endeavour to understand the Index/Match formula I am still battling with what cell selections go where in the formula. Perhaps in showing the OP verbosely you will allow both him, I and perhaps a few others also understand the formula, if you think it is the one needed.

I, and many others, look forward to your continued support.

Warmest Regards
Hylton