On 10/30/2022 12:37 PM, Vince@Verizon wrote:

Hi:

Version: 7.3.2.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 49f2b1bff42cfccbd8f788c8dc32c1c309559be0
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19043; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

I am attempting to understand a formula that was suggested for use within MSExcel2016 so I might us it within LibreOffice Calc.

The formula is:

=INDEX(IF(INDEX(A:A,LARGE(IF($A$4:$B$43=$G$2,ROW($A$4:$A$43),""),ROW(1:1)))=$G$2,E:E,F:F),LARGE(IF($A$4:$B43=$G$2,ROW($A$4:$A$43),""),ROW(1:1))).

When I copy/paste this formula first into Notepad and then copy/paste from Notepad into a LO Calc spreadsheet, a  #VALUE!  error is returned.

I have not ever used e.g., INDEX(A:A) nor ROW(1:1) as a range identifier/specifier within a formula, so I wonder if they are acceptable within LO Calc, or is that causing the error,  #VALUE! ?  I believe those identify/specify the entire [A] column and the entire [1] row; is there an equivalent within LO Calc.

Once the error is cleared then I will continue to attempt to understand what the formula is calculating/doing within LO Calc. I can see that it is evaluating the data within cell $G$2, the LARGEST value within A:A, within E:E, and within F:F; but not much else is making any sense for me to understand. A simplified example would be appreciated here.

Thanks for reading about my problem and for your comments/reply.

VinceB.

Update:

Here is a link to the original MSExcel spreadsheet, the OP posted at the Excel Forum; the OP was seeking "Best formula to lookup most recent and second most recent result from list of data" on 01-04-2016, 02:50 AM:

https://www.excelforum.com/attachments/excel-general/438242d1451890188-best-formula-to-lookup-most-recent-and-second-most-recent-result-from-list-of-data-lookup-formula.xlsx

Unfortunately, I do not understand the significance of:  ROW(1:1) within the original formula.

Error #519 says in part,

The formula yields a value that does not correspond to the definition;
Or a cell that is referenced in the formula contains text instead of a number.

No result (#VALUE is in the cell rather than Err:519!)

and it is true that columns H:J for row1 contain text strings, not numerical data.

I am still at a loss of understanding .