I don't understand why you would not use a 4 card (2x2) to 1 letter or a4
page layout instead of a 3x1 layout. It seems a waste of material to me.

2x2 in portrait mode letter or a4 page = 4 Qty, 3x5 portrait when cut.

Those 1x3 layouts were about continuous feed dot matrix printers with
fanfold, pinhole edge paper. Even though the label layout survived into
sheet feeder laser and inkjet printer era... the original reason to do 1x3
for 3x5 cards is gone. With the 1 wide layout you could print 1 at a time
and remove the label or card individually.