On 2024-05-09 17:34, Chris J. wrote:

When I put the cursor wherever I want the ToC in the Master document and insert it there,
the only thing I get is the text "Table Of Contents".

Try: >Tools >Update >All

Also note that if the Table of Contents is in a document that becomes a section in the master document, the read only status of the document might prevent the Table of Contents from updating, when doing ">Tools >Update >All". (I say _might_, because I have had very inconsistent results with updating Table of Contents when a part of document.)

When I use a master document, I ensure that the Table of Contents is part of the master document text, and not in a document that is a section of the master document.

jonathon