A little more info.

After moving the spool directory and re-starting the qmaster, I
deleted all the jobs with qdel and the qmaster showed no jobs.
However, after a further re-start it now shows over 2396 active jobs,
with "-2251" available slots. I assume that somehow the history of
jobs finishing was lost so the qmaster thinks the jobs are still
active. I am trying another delete!

Simon