I believe you just need to update /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.man to include
all of the necessary MAN paths.

This was a bug in apparmor that supposedly has been fixed, but depending on
your patch level, it may not.

Anyway, according to the bug filed here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apparmor/+bug/1784499

this is the fix for man pages:

Workaround (for /usr/bin/man only):

Add to /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.man the lines

  # TCP/UDP network access for NFS
  network inet stream,
  network inet6 stream,
  network inet dgram,
  network inet6 dgram,

then run

# systemctl reload apparmor

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM David Triimboli <trimb...@cshl.edu> wrote:

> On 1/25/2019 11:02 AM, Fred Youhanaie wrote:

> >> That's a strange line, because qhost lives in /opt/sge/bin/lx-amd64.
> >> But the following line also has a permission denied message, and it
> >> points to the correct location of qhost. But of course,
> >
> > I think that's just the man command trying to be smart and guess the
> > man page pathname based on the pathname of the qhost command.
>

> I was thinking that too, based on other lines.

> >> Hmm. Possibly, but it's beyond my ability to interpret. Here are a
> >> couple of interesting things I found:
> >>
> >> audit: type=1400 audit(1548425695.819:52): apparmor="DENIED"
> >> operation="sendmsg" profile="/usr/bin/man" pid=3534 comm="man"
> >> laddr=10.0.2.4 lport=878 faddr=10.0.2.15 fport=2049 family="inet"
> >> sock_type="stream" protocol=6 requested_mask="send" denied_mask="send"
> >>
> >> nfs: RPC call returned error 13
> >
> > I was suspecting selinux, but it seems it's apparmor instead.
>

> I made sure selinux was disabled before starting any of this. I've been
> burned before.
>

> >> I tried stopping the AppArmor service and running "man qhost" again,
> >> but it made no difference.
> >
> > I don't think stopping the service would have helped, you may need to
> > unload/fix the apparmor profiles already loaded in the kernel.
> >
> > I haven't worked with apparmor, so you may need to search the internet
> > for solutions.
>

> I'll take a look. My brief perusal suggests that it's a nontrivial task
> to do so. I'll see what I find.
>
> Thanks!

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu