> Am 09.04.2019 um 17:43 schrieb Mun Johl <mun.j...@kazan-networks.com>:
>
> Hi Reuti,
>
> Thank you for your reply!
> Please see my comments below.
>
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 10:27 PM PDT, Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 09.04.2019 um 05:37 schrieb Mun Johl <mun.j...@kazan-networks.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> My company is hiring a contractor for some development work.  As such, I
>>> need to modify our grid configuration so that he only has access to a
>>> single execution host.  That particular host (let's call it serverA)
>>> will not have all of our data disks mounted.
>>>
>>> NOTE: We are running SGE v8.1.9 on systems running Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>>> v6.8 .
>>>
>>> I'm not really sure how to proceed.  I'm thinking of perhaps creating a
>>> new queue which only resides on serverA.
>>
>> There is no need for an additional queue. You can add him to the xuser_lists
>> of all oher queues. But a special queue with a limited number of slots might
>> give the contractor more priority to check his develoment faster. Depends on
>> personal taste whether this one is preferred. This queue could have a forced
>> complex with a high urgency, which he always have to request (or you use JSV
>> to add this to his job submissions).
>
> How would I proceed if I did not create an additional queue?  You have
> me intrigued.  That is, if I add him to the xuser_lists of all queues,
> he wouldn't be able to submit a job, would he?  Perhaps I'm confused.

All entries in the (cluster) queue definition allow a list of different
characteristics (similar to David's setup in the recent post):

$ qconf -sq all.q
…
user_lists           NONE,[development_machine=banned_users]
xuser_lists           NONE,[@ordinary_hosts=banned_users]

to keep him away from certain machines only. You don't need both entries, it
depends whether there are machines for development use only, for ordinary users
only, and a pool of machines for mixed use. Sure, one would it rename to
"contractor_team" and not "banned_users", if it's used in "user_lists" too.

>>> We would ask the contractor to
>>> specify this new queue for his jobs.  Furthermore, I would add the
>>> contractor to the xuser_lists of all other queues.
>>>
>>> Does that sound reasonable
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> or is there an easier method for
>>> accomplishing this task within SGE?
>>>
>>> IF it makes sense to proceed in this manner, what is the easiest way to
>>> add the username of the contractor to the xuser_lists parameter?  Can I
>>> simply add his username?  Or do I need to create a new access list for him?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> $ qconf -au john_doe banned_users
>
> Okay, so to confirm: I create the banned_users ACL and add that ACL to
> all queues for which john_joe is banned.  Correct?
>
> Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

Either this or create a hostlist to shorten the number of machines for the
above setup.

===

Even a forced complex could be bound this way to a hostgroup only:

$ qconf -sq all.q
…
complex_values        NONE,[@ ordinary_hosts =contractor=TRUE]

and the BOOL complex "contractor" with a high urgency.

-- Reuti