HI Joshua,
I like the array job option because essentially it will still be 1 job and
it will run them in parallel.

I have one issue though. I can create an array script, but here I presented
a simple problem. Actually my individual tar.gz files are under respective
directories
For example
dir1 has file1.tar.gz
dir2 has file2.tar.gz
dir3 has file3.tar.gz

The way I was then submitting them was

for i in *
do
  if [ -d "$i" ]
  then cd "$i"
  qsub -l h_vmem=4G -cwd -j y -b y -N tar -R y -q all.q,gpu.q "tar -xf
*.tar"
  cd ..
  fi
done

One way is I can pull out all the tar.gz in one folder and run array script
as you told, other wise is there a work around where everything runs and
also remains in the respective directories.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Varun