Hi everyone,

There was some discussion at gr8conf about how to speed up delivery of
Groovy 3.0. Some of that discussion was around the scope of what we want to
include and have yet to complete in 3.0 but I won't discuss that right now.

One of the other discussion points was Groovy around 2.6. As many of you
know, we have released alpha versions of Groovy 2.6. That version is a
backport of most but not all of Groovy 3.0 to JDK7 including the Parrot
parser (though it isn't enabled by default). The purpose of this version
has always been to assist people/projects wanting to use the Parrot parser
but who might be stuck on JDK7. So in some sense it is an intermediate
version to assist with porting towards Groovy 3.0. While that is still a
noble goal in theory, in practice, many of our users are already on JDK8
and we have limited resources to work on many potential areas.

With that in mind, we'd like to understand the preferences in our user base
for the following two options:

Option 1: please continue releasing the best possible 2.6 even if that
slows down the final release of Groovy 3.0 and delays further work on
better support for JDK9+.

Option 2: please release one more alpha of 2.6 over the next month or so
which will become the best version to use to assist porting for users stuck
on JDK7 and then focus on 3.0. The 2.6 branch will essentially be retired
though we will consider PRs from the community for critical fixes.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers, Paul.