On 04.07.2018 20:40, Paul King wrote:
[...]
Existing rule: if the set of tokens parsed when an end of line is reached doesn't make a complete expression/statement, continue reading tokens as if the EOL wasn't there.

There are exceptions, e.g. we currently don't allow single quote and single double quoted strings to span multiple lines but the list is short.

What are your new rules and new list of exceptions?

I think it is important to have simple and consistent set of rules and as such I reconsidered my comment and say that for the sake of completeness to allow something like:

fooo.
  bar().
  otherFoo()

(or take an example with +), which follows this rule should be supported, even if that means supporting

import fooo.
  bar.

or the example with --. I think it should not necessarily be our task to prevent people from writing ugly looking code. For that I would like to have a secondary tool.

Thank you for reminding.

bye Jochen