What I meant was: What sense does letting void methods be called make for the dynamic case, i.e. the dynamic compiler ? From a programmer's perspective, i.e. what is a programming use case for that feature/behavior, in dynamic Groovy ?

Of course I can do the following in dynamic Groovy:

// Groovy 2.5.0
class Goo {
    //void nogoo() { return 123 } // Dynamic Groovy compiler:
RuntimeParserException: Cannot use return statement with an expression on a
method that returns void
    void nogoo() { 123 }
}

final goo = new Goo()

println "original: goo.nogoo()=${goo.nogoo()}"

goo.metaClass.nogoo = { return 456 }

println "mopped: goo.nogoo()=${goo.nogoo()}"

Which will build, run, and output

original: goo.nogoo()=null
mopped: goo.nogoo()=456

 i.e. returning 456 from a void method in the second case.
But if I am using a library that includes the Goo class, why would I ever expect a return value from the nogoo method (and therefore call it), considering its return type is void ? And if I control the Goo class myself, why would I not just change its return type to int or def ?

Cheers,
mg