@IntelliJ's build system: We use IntelliJ Groovy build, and have very vanilla requirements with regards to building our projects (basically it's just a larger number of interdependent modules with a bunch of artifacts), but alas even that does not work without a hitch: The "build-repeatedly-magically-fails"-problem I described here a while ago has (after years) thankfully disappeared, just to be replaced by a more benign one, where any change in one of a couple of our central Groovy modules makes the regular minimal rebuild fail, and we always have to rebuild the failing module in its entirety in that case. We can only live with it since those modules are relatively stable.*

Also Intellisense in the IntelliJ version we are currently using (2019.3.1) gets confused after a short while, and will mark correct code as invalid (as a weird workaround, one can comment out the "invalid" part of the line, and when commenting it back in, IntelliJ will be back on track most of the time).*

Which brings me to:
@"Another thing that comes to mind, JetBrains produces Kotlin, and Kotlin competes with Groovy - figure that one out!" Alas, yes. As I have said here back when the discussion about Gradle Groovy vs Kotlin happened, there is an obvious conflict of interests here  - ideally you would want your IDE supplier to be as language agnostic as possible, which, due to the introduction of and ongoing investment in Kotlin, for Jetbrains is no longer the case. I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt, but thinking back, IntelliJ Groovy support used to be top notch, and nowadays it is incomplete and suffers from quite a bit of problems. Hmmm...

In any case, even though the Groovy ecosystem is large & strong, in the end we are small fry, since it seems obvious to me their actual goal is not to replace Groovy, but over time to replace Java. Then the #1 IDE and the #1 JVM language would come from one company in Prague. Not my dream scenario, for sure, after Java and the JVM landscape finally made big strides to being completely open source & much more community driven... (if I wanted MS (i.e. Visual Studio** & C#), I would not have returned to the JVM world from .NET in 2008)

Cheers,
mg

*None of that can be fixed by clearing the IntelliJ caches btw, we do that on a regular basis. **Ironically enough, ReSharper by Jetbrains, at least back then, used to be the quintessential Visual Studio refactoring plugin back in 2008.