Since 2008 I maintain Groovy CMS/CMF for my company, written from scratch completely in groovy. Basically it is MVC over Servlet. It uses many java components such as Hibernate as model layer (all model classes are Groovy classes and Hibernate configuration is groovy config files, converted runtime to properties), but whole controller layer is statically compiled groovy code, that will be packed as *.class files into WAR. So, all the backend code is Groovy. There is only one type of resources in backend - XSLT files, used as view layer via Saxon. And yes - this is java web application without Spring. Since then over 100 implementations were made - shops, sites, news resources. Groovy performs well and easy to develop and support.

This is definitely not DSL nor scripting