Hello,

I happened to be testing some issues related to this pull request I
submitted the other day:

https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/1405

In testing between groovy 2.5.x and 3.x I've noticed a considerable
performance difference when pasting long multi-lined scripts. 2.5.x is
quite quick to accept the input whereas 3.x seems to slow more and more as
additional lines are consumed. While I did more complex tests trying to get
to the bottom of the problem, it's fairly easy to recreate with a simple
addition script:

1 + 10 +
1 + 10 +
1 + 10 +
1 + 10 +
1 + 10 +
... repeated a bunch of times and then ended with
1

copy that out of your text editor and just paste it into both versions of
groovsh and see the difference. I've found 500 lines demonstrates it well
but you could probably get away with less and still see the difference of
evaluation at play.

I tried to do some profiling to try to isolate the problem myself, but
things got a little too deep into antlr4 for me and I got lost. Does anyone
have any ideas as to what might be different for 3.x?