A lot of hard-core math libraries are written in C, C++ or Fortran (like
BLAS, ATLAS and LAPACK).

So a lot of math programs in a lot of languages (like JVM languages, as
well as Ruby and Python) off load a lot of the work to these C libraries.
TensorFlow, NumPy, SciPy, DeepLearning4J, etc all do that. For some of the
libraries in Java (like TensorFlow or DeepLearning4J) I think you can
choose to either use Java, a C library, or a library that calls the GPU.

= Eric MacAdie