Was trying to come up with a Groovy way to collapse a lengthy switch
statement to dynamically building the variable name. I've failed at that.
Instead, I've fallen back on this option:

     switch("$k") {
               case "English":
                    containsEnglish = true
               case "Spanish":
                    containsSpanish = true
               case "French":
                    containsFrench = true
               case "Japanese":
                    containsJapanese = true
               case "German":
                    containsGerman = true
               .
               .
               .
               default:
                    break
          }

I initialize each of my "containsXYZ" variables to false at the beginning
of my Groovy script. It works well, though it seems to lack elegance and
brevity to me.

Thanks again.
Jim

On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 5:10 PM James McMahon <jsmcmah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Søren  ,
> May I ask you a follow up? I am trying what I thought I read in your reply
> (thank you for that, by the way). But I continue to get this error:
> "The LHS of an assignment should be a variable or a field accessing
> expression @ ...."
>
> This is what I currently have, attempting to set my variable name to
> include the key drawn from my Groovy map. How must I change this to get it
> to work?
>
>      mapLanguages.each { k, x ->
>           log.warn('mapLanguages entry is this: {} {}', ["$k", "$x"] as
> Object[])
>           x.each {
>                languageChar -> log.warn('language char in {} is this: {}',
> ["$k", "$languageChar"] as Object[])
>           }
>           "contains${k}" = true
>      }
>
> Many thanks again,
> Jim
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:01 AM Søren Berg Glasius <soe...@glasius.dk>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> It is possible:
>>
>> languages = ['english', 'french', 'spanish']
>> englishCharsList = ['a','b']
>> frenchCharsList = ['c','d']
>> spanishCharsList = ['e','f']
>>
>> languages.each { lang ->
>>     this."${lang}CharsList".each { ch ->
>>         println "$lang -> $ch"
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> Check it out here:
>> https://gwc-experiment.appspot.com/?g=groovy_3_0&codez=eJxVjkEKwyAQRfeeYhDBTZobtJtue4PShbVGBRmCY1fBu2e0ppBZDMN__38mGfRf4x3BFZ7aoU-Rgp5AL9mh7RetBpv4EgPfg8n0iFR6xuhJvxn-AmdmmX2YjYozdAwXhiIdP8zO2AAbNAEuNwE8JUSapdqaVv8F8rDyGsY2a45YEoJUowKUDbLjKqrYAZXRSNo
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Søren Berg Glasius
>>
>> Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry
>> Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88
>> --- Press ESC once to quit - twice to save the changes.
>>

>> Den tor. 23. feb. 2023 kl. 01.52 skrev James McMahon <
>> jsmcmah...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Good evening. I have a list named languageCharactersList. I begin my
>>> iteration through elements in that list with this:
>>>
>>> languageCharactersList.eachWithIndex( it, i ->
>>>
>>> I hope to make this more generic, so that I can build a variable name
>>> that points to the appropriate list, which then allows me to keep my
>>> iteration loop generic.
>>>
>>> I'd like to do this:
>>> def languages = ['english', 'french', 'spanish']
>>> def englishCharsList = [....]
>>> def frenchCharsList = [.....]