How about mod_bandwidth to limit by number of connections and/or bandwidth
used per IP etc. For example as a rough set and forget configuration, set it
so the maximum anyone can suck out of your server is one quarter of your
maximum connections and bandwidth.

http://www.cohprog.com/v3/bandwidth/intro-en.html

Regards,
Jon