Thanks for the answer.  It looks like I didn't really include enough info to
make my question clear.  In the httpd.conf file of our apache 2.0.55 we have
HostnameLookups ON to get the name resolution of all hosts that come our way.
If there is a problem with a name server somewhere which maintains the record
for the host we are trying to lookup, the thread hangs for about 12 minutes
waiting for an answer.

I think your suggestion wont work in my case.  We are using the reverselookups
in the apache logging, and how I can make apache use an external script for
this purpose is somehting I have no idea about.  I think also such a solution
is something that would not go down well with higher up people here.

Any other ideas?

regards
Markus