Greetings all

Newbie alert!  I am new to this list and new to apache, so please forgive me if my understandings of the protocols aren't 100% yet

I also did not find a dedicated list for win32 so I have assumed its the same list.

please correct me if I am wrong

I have a problem that I seriously cannot pinpoint.

I do a bit of development on my local box and use apache (of course) as my web server
I have installed apache quite a few times before and know how to change the document root to another localtion ( ie D:\wed ) etc

Now I recently reinstalled windows from scratch and am now in the process of reinstalling apache. Trying to.

I install it, open a web broswer, type localhost and i get the default page

i edit the httpd.conf file and change the document root from
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"

DocumentRoot "D:/web"

Which is where my web root sits

I also edit

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs">
<Directory "D:/web">

and save the config and restart the server

The minute I restart the server and hit localhost in my browser , it hangs and searches for localhost and never finds it

I have tried changing the config back to its original state to test it again, restarting the server service all the time and still no joy.

I use the apache monitor to restart the service

NO joy

its no proxy settings or anything of the sort as I do not have  any proxy

however when I go into windows services and restart the service from there and not the apache services monitor it seems to work, however I am still testing this

I have reinstalled apache over and over again removed it, deleted all remaining files, downloaded a new copy of the win32 installer installed again and still the same problem

I am not sure if its some funky setting on this box or if the apache monitor is wonky or if I am just forced to suffer for my sins now and cruise on through the pearly gates at a later stage in my life.

Any idea?

please?