From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Sent: 04 December, 2009 7:03
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Zachary Uram wrote:
Krist I prefer IPv4 addressing. I can remember 128.2.10.12 but I can't
remember some insane IPv6 hexadecimal address! lol. And I love my
commands such as ping, traceroute, dig, host, nslookup etc.

This has nothing to do with why to enable IPv6 in APR.

Actually it has everything to do with it. IPv6 is useless to me on a small HOME LAN of 5 computers. It should be disabled by default, and an allowable option by those who wish to use IPv6. It shouldn't be forced down peoples throats. Its like how Linux/Unix Distribution Creaters forcing IPv6 in a kernel when someone may not have a need for it or find it useless. They should instead build their distributions with IPv4 enabled by default, and include a IPv6 enabled Kernel for those who want to use it. As such so should software developers, they should create their software and distribute it with default settings enabled, such as ipv6 being disabled unless wanted by the end-user. Those who desire IPv6 functionality should be the only ones wanting to compile their software and kernels with such goals in mind.

Look, the IPv6 API is far superior to the standard posix IPv4 functions.
IGNORE the danged IPv6 addresses, that isn't the point!!!

It maybe "far superior" in your needs, but for me it isn't.

To make Apache httpd speak only IPv4 is trivial.  Replace

 Listen 80

with a sensible

 Listen 0.0.0.0:80

which tells httpd to listen only on IPv4 adapters, all of them, on their
respective port 80's.  And unless you tell it otherwise, it WON'T attempt
to listen on any IPv6 adapters.

I tried the above with no avail, and infact Apache failed to listen on IPv4 port 80 as one would hope. It still showed up as listening on the IPv6 interface via netstat -anp | grep 80. With no mention of 0.0.0.0:80 in netstat.

And if IPv6 confuses you, PLEASE take a minute to look at :: syntax :)

If the reasoning behind me wanting to disable IPv6 on my network and on my system's confuse you, then please take your leave. I came here for help regarding IPv6 and how to disable it in my environment. I didn't want testimonials of why it is great, and why I should be converted. I do not like not so well adopted protocols being enabled by default on my systems of which I control.

My issue has been solved with due diligence, and due process on my part getting help from this mailing lists.

Thank you,
Daniel