On October 24, 2011 10:44 , "Pranesh Vadhirajan" <vadhira...@teralogics.com> wrote:

I am trying to use the mod_session module.  Since mod_session is built
into Apache for versions 2.3 or later, in order for me to use it on
our Apache 2.2.3 server, I tried to build it from source. [...] I'm
getting the following error:

error: httpd: Syntax error on line 217 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so into server:
/usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so: undefined symbol:
session_module.

I don't know if there is a library that I'm supposed to load before I
load this module. If you know the cause of this error, or if there is
a better way to gather session information on Apache 2.2.3 please let
me know.

(By the way, if Nick or another big Apache HTTP Server developer says you don't need to worry about the things I describe below, believe him and not me.)

The Apache HTTP Server API has changed substantially between 2.2 and 2.3 (2.4). Because of this, in general, I would not expect modules written for 2.3/2.4 to work with 2.2. You might get lucky, but if you want to run mod_session in a production environment, would you be comfortable gambling on this, even if you get the module to compile, load, and it appear to work for the cases you test?

If you are comfortable developing modules and would like to backport mod_session from 2.3 to 2.2, a list of the API changes is available at

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/developer/new_api_2_4.html

The above document describes what is needed to port a module forward from 2.2 to 2.4. You'd need to reverse everything described in order to back-port modules from 2.3 to 2.2.

In addition to mod_session, you may also need at least one of mod_session_crypto, mod_session_cookie, or mod_session_dbd. See the documentation (3rd paragraph) at https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_session.html

2.4 is close enough to being released that you might want to consider upgrading to 2.3 now instead of trying to get a 2.3 module to work with 2.2. I've been running 2.3 since 2.3.5-beta and have been happy with it; 2.3.14-beta is the current release.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org