Of course. But the original question was, why is chunking not used, even when Content-Length was not sent? I don't know HTTP/1.1 enough to answwer this question, do you?

Yes; because the entire C-L is known and the overhead for C-L plus
fragment header/trailer is longer than a simple C-L header.

This issue can also be handles by not sending the Content-Length and using chunking.

The original question was, "How do I force chunking".  The answer
is, you don't and can't expect to.  Chunking is a hop-by-hop
behavior over which you have no control by either endpoint of the
intermediate servers' elections.

Maybe the original question should be rephrased to "How do I force chunking when sending content from mod_gzip2", so we would not discuss what chunking is for, if it collides with Content-Length and that it is hop-by-hop header, and just search for answer for "why does mod_gzip not send chunked responses, if it can".