The Debian/Ubuntu distributions, or rather their Apache HTTPD package
maintainers, have renamed the binary to apache2, amongst other
modifications. This was mainly done to differentiate between Apache 1.x and
Apache 2.x, but its use is mostly void nowadays.

Some other changes and layout peculiarities are listed here:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DebianDeb0rkification