On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:54:32AM -0400, Mark Montague wrote:
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:54:32 -0400
>From: Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Build problem
>
>On May 30, 2012 8:06 , Bill Vance <p...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
>>I'm new to the list, so this may allready be
>>addressed somewhere.  Basically, I', trying
>>to put the sources for apache2 and php,
>>etc., together, and I seem to be having some
>>heavy wading.
>
>Do you have a reason to want to build from source?  For example, as a
>learning exercise, or because you will be modifying the code, or
>because you are using a very esoteric hardware platform?

Well it seems to be the way everyones been discussing how to do it,
what with aspx being AWOL or whatever.  That plus whenever I get
things working, there's a bunch of other stuff I want to add, as well.

>If the answer is "no", consider getting both Apache and PHP pre-built
>from someone who has built it already for you -- preferably, your OS
>distributor (for example, if you are running a Red Hat Linux based
>OS, run the command "sudo yum install httpd php" to get everything),
>or a trusted group who provide a pre-packaged stack that contains
>both Apache and PHP ( see
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apache%E2%80%93MySQL%E2%80%93PHP_packages
>).

Actually I'm running KUbuntu 10.04, Lucid Lunatic, or Lynx, or
whatever that stupid name is, on an i386-32  One of the problems
here are utils like apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic, etc.  They
work real good if you only want to deal with .deb archives, but
don't seem to leave much in the way of a program directory behind
them, which some things require for working with them.

>Either way -- whether you get httpd and php pre-packaged or build it
>yourself -- it would be helpful to know what OS you're using.

Actually I just tried your pre-package suggestion, and PHP5
started complaining about deprecated, "#"'s on line 0 in it's /etc/*
files, and apache2 quit working at all.

I'll give it another go with your further suggestions below, and
see what happens.