On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:43:17PM -0500, Joey J wrote:
> Apache 2.4 has had a stable release out for over 2 years but is only
> used by 2.5% of active Apache sites.   Why is the adoption so low?? The
> Apache foundation has been recommending upgrading to 2.4 for some time
> and looking at the improvements I see significant value in several.  I
> don't see any reason why anybody wouldn't want to use it but the
> community seems to think it's bad.

Perhaps it's not yet available, in the way that many in the community
consume it.

Gentoo Linux briefly stabilized 2.4.3 some time ago, but there were
problems with the ebuild and it was withdrawn.  No 2.4 release has
been stabilized since.

I was one of the lucky? ones who noticed the 2.4 ebuild before it was
keyworded and merged it, and I'm still running it.  (Actually I'm
running 2.4.9, because I overrode the keyword and there *have* been
unstable updates.)  It works well.  I had to figure out how to adapt
to a few of the changes, but it wasn't bad.  Every once in a while I
ask "whatever happened to stabilizing 2.4?"  I've had to do without a
module or two, but nothing that couldn't be done almost as well in
another way.  So far keeping it (after I made it run) has been less
work than falling back to 2.2 would be.

That's on my development environment, though.  We still run 2.2 in
production, and will until Gentoo stabilizes another 2.4.x.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.