You are probably hitting child spin up issues...

Out of the box apache uses a process per apache child... There is an overhead/delay when a child is initially spun up,
and that is what you are possibly seeing...

nginx works a different way - and can cope with a moderate number of "light" requests better than apache, but once the numbers of requests get higher (or they get heavier) then nginx can start dropping requests in "interesting" ways!

Additionally there is a cleanup phase in the apache process which handles logging (and other potential custom code) which happens after the request is finished - so although you think you have only two simultaneous requests there are probably more in the process (after each request there will be a write to disk to write the access log)

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
   StartServers             5
   MinSpareServers          5
   MaxSpareServers         10
   MaxRequestWorkers      150
   MaxConnectionsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

You can tune apache by increasing the first 3 values and this will likely remove the effect you are seeing at least
for the number of requests you are making...

HTH