Apologies for the missing info. It is https by the way. Please see below:

On 21 July 2015 at 00:48, Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net> wrote:

> You haven't shown a need for any proxy configuration at all

Yes. If I have a single box with low traffic, I don't need a proxy config
at all, right?
Is this related to
1. presence of php-fpm processes? If so, do I turn them off?
2. the <IfModule mod_proxy.c> ... ProxyRequests On ...</IfModule> setting.
If so, do I comment it out?

> and you did not include nearly enough configuration, plus you didn't say
> what wiki package you are running.

mediawiki 1.25.1

> How about posting more of your config, including the vhost and actual fpm
> or mod_php config?

Here is a flattened httpd.conf with all the other relevant conf files
included:

Listen 0.0.0.0:80
ServerName myserver:80
UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

Alias /wiki/skins /usr/share/mediawiki/skins
Alias /wiki /var/www/wiki

<Files ".user.ini">
    Require all denied
</Files>
AddType text/html .php
DirectoryIndex index.php
<IfModule  mod_php5.c>
    <FilesMatch \.php$>
        SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
    </FilesMatch>
    php_value session.save_handler "files"
    php_value session.save_path    "/var/lib/php/session"
    php_value soap.wsdl_cache_dir  "/var/lib/php/wsdlcache"
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_php5.c>
    <FilesMatch \.php$>
        SetHandler "proxy:unix:/run/php-fpm/www.sock|fgci://localhost"
    </FilesMatch>
</IfModule>

Listen 0.0.0.0:443 https
<VirtualHost _default_:443>
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
ServerName publichostname:443
SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
ServerName lanlocalhostname:443
SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
</VirtualHost>

These modules are also loaded, after the ones above:
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
   LoadModule cgid_module modules/mod_cgid.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule mpm_event_module>
   LoadModule cgid_module modules/mod_cgid.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
   LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule prefork.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule !prefork.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5-zts.so
</IfModule>

Please advise any other conf I could add.