In the past on our 2.2 configs we used prefork with mod_php
To set our MaxClients we determine an average amount of RAM used by httpd
processes by looking at "top" output, we then divide the (total amount of
physical RAM minus enough RAM to run the OS) by the average RAM used by
httpd processes.

In 2.4 we are using "event" MPM with PHP-FPM. So for MaxRequestWorkers we
get the average RAM per httpd process like above plus the average RAM per
PHP-FPM process then divide the physical RAM by that. I am not clear on
how to determine the other 2.4 event MPM config settings
(MaxConnectionsPerChild, etc.). There doesn't seem to be much reference to
"event" specific settings and how to arrive at values here,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mpm_common.html

If you have a lot of RAM and not a proportional amount of cpu then to me
your cpu is the constraint.