On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 9:09 PM, David Aronchick <aronch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I hadn't thought of the fact that apache would be architected to use its
> multiple threads as an internal housekeeping (instead of just to allow
> parallelization of requests).

You misunderstood me. I don't know that the extra threads you're seeing are
housekeeping threads. That is simply one plausible explanation.

> My motivation behind moving the processes to be so low is that I'm trying
> to explore Apache's suitability for use in a Docker container, in the
> "Docker way" - minimal processes per containers, that, when the process
> failed for any reason, the entire container is killed, and you spin up many
> containers to accommodate that. I think this is the point where I give up,
> and just spend the time porting this app to nginx.

I don't understand what the problem is. If you're starting a single-program
to do exactly one task (e.g., server individual HTTP requests serially)
then what does it matter if the program requires one, two or three threads
to do the job? What if performing the desired task required two cooperating
processes? It seems to me you're confusing a guideline (e.g., minimize the
number of processes per container) for a mandate (e.g., have only one
process per container).

--
Kurtis Rader