On 11/10/2015 03:33 PM, Jacob Champion wrote:
> I'm happy to announce version 0.1.0 of mod_websocket:
>
> https://github.com/jchampio/apache-websocket/releases/tag/0.1.0

Jacob,

First, congratulations on your release.

Next, I'd encourage you to take the discussion to the dev@ list, where
other httpd module developers may be interested in participating in
the effort, and may have a deeper understanding of what you're trying
to accomplish. Granted, many/most of those folks are also subscribed
here, but tend not to watch this list very closely.

- --Rich

> mod_websocket is an Apache 2.x module that allows developers to
> write C- and C++-based WebSocket services. The intent is for
> mod_websocket-plugin writers to develop their WebSocket services
> completely independently of the Apache server API. Currently, both
> httpd 2.2 and 2.4 are supported.
>
> I am not the original author of mod_websocket; it's been orphaned
> for a couple of years now, and I'm stepping in as a new primary
> maintainer. So if you're interested in the development or use of
> this module, now is an excellent time to get involved! Download and
> test the code, file issues (or try your hand at fixing one),
> star/fork the repo on GitHub, etc. Any and all feedback is
> appreciated.
>
> = Major New Features/Fixes =
>
> Since the last upstream commit in 2012, here are some of the major
> changes in 0.1.0:
>
> - Incoming handshakes are now validated and rejected if they do
> not conform to the WebSocket specification. This is the primary
> focus of the 0.1.0 release. - Cross-origin connections are now
> rejected by default, and a new WebSocketOriginCheck directive has
> been added to control this behavior. - A major rearchitecture of
> the threading model fixes occasional crashes when using mod_ssl. -
> Experimental CMake support has been added for Windows builds. - An
> autotest harness has been added, which uses the Autobahn
> TestSuite.
>
> A full changelist can be seen at the release description on
> GitHub.
>
> = Major Known Issues =
>
> This is a pre-release, zero-dot module. There are known issues that
> may preclude its use in production systems. Please understand them
> and take steps to avoid them if you decide to deploy
> mod_websocket.
>
> - mod_reqtimeout will prematurely close idle WebSocket connections
> if it is in use. - Apache worker threads are completely monopolized
> by WebSocket connections. This makes it possible for a large number
> of connections to DoS the server. - mod_websocket suffers from poor
> performance when receiving extremely fragmented messages (i.e. a
> large number of small frames). In an untrusted environment, this
> could also lead to a denial of service condition.
>
> A more complete (but not necessarily exhaustive) list is available
> at the repo page on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/jchampio/apache-websocket/issues
>
> = Binary Compatibility =
>
> The plugin ABI is *not* yet stable, but the 0.1.x line is
> binary-compatible with the original upstream fork. So if you
> already have mod_websocket plugins based on the original
> repository, no changes should be required for you to use them with
> this release. There *will* eventually be an ABI bump (0.2.x) to fix
> some known issues with the interfaces, but I'll do my best to
> consolidate those compatibility breaks and drive towards a 1.0 as
> [...]

- --
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon