Well, bummer. I think it would be a terrific improvement to
functionality if both of those things were implemented:
   1. AllowOverride negating (maybe we could do like AllowOverride all
-SetHandler?)
   2. mod_info/status & friends restricting (not allow being added in htaccess
context, or give the option to remove that access?)
I just tested with some long AllowOverrideList configs and confirmed
going that route would allow me to (mostly) do what I'd like to do. I
still think it would be very nice to be able to load modules (or maybe
only allow access to module functionality?) under specific
circumstances.
Thanks again for the help.