A couple of recent threads on "non-apache" mods, so ... recognizing that mode_evasive is also third party, is there any "pure-apache" way to rate-limit incoming requests by a specific IP.

mod_evasive has the capability of using e.g.:
    # Allow up to 10 requests from the same IP per second:
    DOSPageInterval 1
    DOSPageCount 10

I have not yet found anything similar in the Apache2 docs, but hope that someone can point me in the right direction ;=) Or, conversely, has anyone got *production* experience with mod-evasive (seems to work on a test-box, but I cannot scale it...)

tnx -- paul